Blog Post #9

 

  • A paragraph about your experience as a distance learner this semester. What do you like about your distance learning experience? What do you dislike about your distance learning experience? When you are a teacher, what is something you can do to help improve the experience of distance learners?
I really dont like the distance learning experience. I have no motivation to keep up with work and attending these classes on a computer screen just does not fit my learning style at all. I'm much more of a visual/hands on learner and the disconnect from classes has me struggling to learn the material. I'm trying to keep my spirits up though, and a good thing about distance learning is being able to attend class from any location thats connected to the internet. As a teacher, I would help improve the experience of distance learners by trying to adjust to any potential issues that arise with technology, as there are plenty. I would also probably not have mandatory attendance lectures, and instead release videos weekly that students can watch without having to be present 'in class', so they can be present at their own time as fits best in their schedule.


  • A paragraph about open educational resources (OER).  Describe these resources in your own words. Find a online resource (blog post about OER, examples of OER materials, an article about OER, etc.), provide a brief synopsis, and post the link to your blog.
Open Education Resources (OER) are resources that can be accessed by the public, and contain 5 rights that give permission to users to implement the content they get from the OER in different ways, such as through revision, remixing, and redistribution. OERs also provide ways for educators to access materials that will help them develop their lesson plans and further the material used in class. The blog post from thoughtful learning gives a rundown on what OERs are, how they can be applied in the classroom, where they can be found, and also contains links to further information about OERs. I really like that the blog also includes 3 videos on using mini lessons, writing topics, and student models.
https://k12.thoughtfullearning.com/blogpost/how-find-open-education-resources 

  • A paragraph on new skills you acquired from working on the two PowerPoint assignments. Reflect on what you like/don’t like about each and how you can improve it next time. Post a screenshot of both assignments.
A skill I acquired from the first powerpoint assignment is using narration. I never even knew it was possible to do that, so I found it really cool that I could do a voiceover on the slides and follow each slide with my recording, and then play it over the slideshow. I also learned how to use animations, which I had never previously used. I have used transitions before, but animations were new to me and I think it can definitely be used to spice up some presentations. I haven't finished the 2nd powerpoint assignment but i want to make a game show type of thing, and that is something i haven't done before so i'm excited to learn the skills necessary to do so. For the first powerpoint assignment, one thing I liked about it was the opportunity it gave me to teach history, in a fluid and smooth way, however what i didnt like was the powerpoint format itself. Im not the biggest fan of using powerpoints to teach, however i do like them for games and such. 

Comments